The Kitchen is indeed one of the most important places in your house, and every member of the house tends to spend some time there. A maintained and classy kitchen adds beauty to the aesthetics of your house. The place where you cook should be top-notch and well-furnished so that you enjoy cooking and eating with your family.
When furnishing your kitchen, you must choose wisely within your budget, especially when you own a small kitchen. Countertops are a great choice for comfort and a premium kitchen look. You can cook, wash dishes with an in-built sink, and even utilize it as a dining table. In this way, a countertop offers many features and combines your kitchen and dining table. It also consists of cabinets and drawers for storage.
If you have a big kitchen, placing a countertop in the center will add more charm and beauty to it. If you have limited space, installing a countertop with an oven and a refrigerator will give your kitchen an organized look without creating a mess. We are here to help you buy the best countertops for small kitchen. Complement your open kitchen by placing a countertop in the front.
Now that you have decided to buy a countertop for your kitchen, it is important to have a sound knowledge of different materials for countertops, their pros and cons, and which one you should buy.
Here is a detailed account of the most durable countertops so that you can decide what is the best countertop for your money.
Also Read: Compact Garbage Disposal for Deep Sink
There are different types of materials that are used to make countertops for kitchens. Some are durable and some are very brittle. Some easily get flawed and damaged when scratched. So when buying a countertop, you need to consider the material too and not only its appearance. Some are more costly than others.
To make your task easier, we have selected the best material for countertops 2020 for your budget.
Granite is indeed one of the most expensive materials for countertops, but it is worth it. It is stain-resistant because it is coated with a saturated sealer once it is cut and polished. It is not affected by high temperatures, making it durable.
Granite countertops do not get scratched or flawed easily, which makes it perfect to use a knife on them. Moreover, granite has a diversity of colors ranging from dark to light tones. You can buy textured granite to give your kitchen a rustic and classy look. Many come in the glossy finish, but you can get a matte one too for a modern look.
Check out its pros and cons below to help you decide whether you should buy it or not:
- It is available in a variety of various colors that help you to get a countertop to fit your kitchen’s color theme.
- Granite is a solid rock that is resistant to heat.
- It does not get scratched easily.
- It will last much longer compared to other materials.
- Available in glossy, shiny, and matte looks.
- It is very costly.
- The corners get easily damaged.
- It needs to be resealed regularly to keep it stain-resistant.
- It can get cracked if installed improperly or when exposed to high pressure.
- DIY installation is not possible and needs professionals to do the task.
It is indeed the best material for countertops. Consider a granite countertop with round edges. Do not buy if you have a limited budget.
Quartz is also known as engineered stone because it is not 100 % natural stone. It is composed of 90% quartz and 10% other materials. It was manufactured as an alternative to granite and other expensive stones.
Unlike granite, it has a non-porous surface thus you do not need to seal it to make it stain-resistant. It is available in more colors and designs than granite.
It does not let germs thrive on its surface because it is easy to clean and sanitize.
Check out its pros and cons below to help you decide:
- It does not need regular maintenance because of its non-porous and exclusive surface.
- Available in plenty of various colors.
- It adds more charm to your kitchen.
- Resistant to heat and acid.
- DIY installation is possible.
- It is less expensive than granite.
- It is more expensive than other materials.
- It is heavier.
- Its color fades away with time when exposed to direct sunlight.
Quartz countertops are not cost-effective compared to granite and are better than granite in terms of maintenance and resistance. Go for quartz countertops if you have a limited budget, and you need something worth your money. Make sure your kitchen does not get direct sunlight.
Also Read: Over the Stove Wall Décor
If you have a very tight budget, go for a Corian countertop. It is cheaper than granite and quartz. It has a better and uniform surface than other cheaper materials like tiles and laminate. Furthermore, it is resistant to stains. Corian countertops are easy to install in the kitchen and can be repaired easily when damaged. Check out it’s good and bad traits to help you take a decision:
- DIY installation is supported.
- Cheaper than other materials.
- It has a non-porous surface.
- It can easily be repaired.
- It does not have a natural finish and seems artificial.
- Putting hot utensils such as a hot pan can leave a mark.
- It cannot tolerate heat.
- It is not attractive for many buyers who are looking for something premium.
Opt for a Corian countertop if you have a very limited budget. It does not have many advantages, and you will need to replace it sooner or later.
Another common natural stone seen in many kitchens is marble. It has a smooth and top-notch finish. It is not as stain-resistant as granite is. Not only that, but it is ideal for baking, making dough, and other cooking activities without the involvement of cutting. Use a cutting board because using a knife directly on marble can damage it.
Moreover, it is affected by acid because it is composed of lime. If you accidentally spill lemon drops or vinegar over it, you will notice stains that will take time to go away. Check out its pros and cons below to get a better idea about marble countertops:
- Its premium appearance makes your kitchen look luxurious.
- It is resistant to heat and water.
- It has a natural stone look making it aesthetically appealing.
- Expensive than granite.
- Not suitable for using a knife.
- It is not resistant to acid and reacts with it, leaving stubborn stains.
If you are looking for countertops that can upgrade the value of your home, go for a marble countertop. But limit the marble surface to the area where you bake, as it is not suitable for cutting purposes.
Also Read: Brilliant Smart Small Kitchen Storage Ideas
Tile countertops are a better alternative to Corian countertops within a limited budget. Tiles come in more colors and designs than any other material, especially ceramic and porcelain tiles. It is good for those who want to install it themselves.
Check out its pros and cons:
- The best thing is that it offers quality at a reasonable cost.
- Resistant to heat, and you can place hot utensils on it without the fear of stains.
- It is easy to clean and does not let bacteria grow over it.
- DIY installation is possible.
- Available in more colors and designs than any other stone.
- Unfortunately, tiles are more fragile and need to be handled with care.
- Less premium than granite and quartz.
- Customized tiles are costly.
If you have a limited budget, and you want good quality material, then we suggest you buy this one. It is indeed the best countertop for families within budget.
Wood never goes out of fashion. Having a kitchen with wooden cabinets, countertops, and a wooden style floor will be perfect for a rustic yet splendid look. Wood is cheaper than compared to other stones and materials. A wooden countertop serves as a cutting board too. Check out its pros and cons:
- It gives your kitchen a classy and cool look, that is why people love it.
- Other materials like granite, quartz have more carbon footprints. Thus, wooden countertops are eco-friendlier than others.
- It has a softer surface. If you drop something over it, like glass, it is less likely to break.
- It is not resistant to water. Water can damage the wood.
- You cannot build a sink on a wooden countertop because water can damage it by seeping through it.
- If you don’t pay attention to its maintenance, it may crack because of its fragile nature.
- It is difficult to remove stains from it.
If you are looking for a more rustic and classy look, then you will live in wooden countertops. We suggest you customize your kitchen with wooden furniture except for the shelves due to the sink as water can damage them.
Installing a glass countertop can give a very deluxe and splendid look to your kitchen, especially when there is proper lighting. Time does not affect the appearance of glass. It is resistant to heat, and you can put the hottest pans on it without any worries!
Glass is waterproof, and maintaining it is a piece of cake. It is available in different styles, and you can customize one of your choices.
Let’s have a look at its good and bad characteristics:
- It comes in different colors and designs.
- Waterproof and heat-resistant.
- Cleaning is easy.
- It gives an opulent look to your house, increasing its value.
- The biggest disadvantage of a glass countertop is that it cannot be repaired in case of damage. It has to be replaced.
Final Words on What is the Best Countertop For Your Money?:
For a prestigious look, go for a glass countertop! If you are a busy person and cannot give much time to its maintenance, then it is the one for you. But be careful because it is brittle and can break easily. It is not suitable for those families who have small kids at home.
Also Read: Best Smart Wi-Fi Air Purifier for Large Room
After going through the best countertops for small kitchen, here is a summary of the benefits of different types of kitchen countertop materials:
- A granite countertop is the best you can have if you want a natural stone on a good budget.
- It is durable, heat-resistant, and gives a prestigious look to one’s kitchen.
- It is the best alternative to granite at a lower price.
- It upgrades the value of your house. If you decide to sell your house in the future, you will get a profitable deal.
- It is non-porous, making it better than granite.
- It is easy to repair in case of damage.
- It does not have many benefits, and we do not suggest it. But if you have a very tight budget, then go for it.
- Suitable for baking lovers.
- Increases the value of your house.
- It is both waterproof and heatproof.
- It is affordable and it is easier to install
- It is heatproof.
- Adds a rustic and country look.
- It is eco-friendly.
- It lasts longer if you maintain it properly.
- It is perfect for those who want an elegant kitchen.
- It is heatproof and waterproof too.
- Adding LED light strips around it can increase the beauty.